Although many of us will be celebrating Valentine’s Day later this week, did you also know that it is ‘Random Acts of Kindness Week’? Yep, it sure is. From Sunday, February 11 – Saturday, February 17, you are encouraged to perform various deeds or actions that are caring, generous, thoughtful and compassionate. These good deeds can be given to friends, loved ones, coworkers or better yet, complete strangers.
I know what you’re thinking. Why would anyone want to do acts of kindness and what does this even have to do with wellness? Giving generously, especially spontaneously, can have a remarkable effect on the receiver as well as the giver. Offering kindness and attention to others creates a sense of belonging, connection and unspoken gratitude. Not only can it boost someone’s mental state temporarily, but it can have a powerful effect on your overall outlook as well.
Keep reading and pick three or four acts of kindness you will do this week to brighten someone’s day.
21 Random Acts of Kindness
1. Pay for someone’s coffee
2. Let someone else have the nearest parking space
3. Send an encouraging email to a colleague
4. Leave a positive sticky note to someone
5. Donate clothes, toiletry items to a shelter
6. Tip a little more at the coffee, or sandwich shop
7. Bring your neighbor’s fallen trashcan in
8. Pick up trash outside your office, store or parking lot
9. Let someone turn/merge in front of you on the road
10. Text an old friend to say ‘hi’
11. Offer to water your neighbor’s plant when they’re away
12. Give an inspirational book to someone
13. Share your favorite recipe
14. Help a senior citizen walking across the street, or return their shopping cart for them
15. Clean the dishes before anyone ask
16. Clean the gym equipment after you finish using it
17. Donate used books to the library, cancer center or school
18. Hold the door open for others to enter or exit
19. Offer to walk someone’s dog
20. Make a meal for someone who is sick
21. Offer to complete a task so someone else can leave early
There are many, many other ways you can show kindness to others and if you one that you like to do often, please share it with me. I’d love to add it to the list.
Remember, kindness starts with one person and that person can be you.One kind word can change someone's entire day. #capturekindness Click To Tweet
Be well, and kind this week.