Not only is Father’s Day right around the corner, but did you also know that the month of June is considered National Men’s Health Month? It is and it’s very fitting that the two celebrations go hand in hand to honor the amazing men in our lives. One way to celebrate this ‘manly’ month is to learn and share 8 ways men can improve their health.
For some guys who enjoy the fitness culture, taking care of themselves by exercising and eating well is a natural part of their daily routine. However, for other men, living a healthy lifestyle and taking care of their bodies is about as foreign to them as going to the store to find the ‘right’ box of tampons. For these specific fellas, working hard, taking care of their families and having a good time is at the top of their list. Not taking care of themselves in a healthy way.
Some Facts about Men
Here are some interesting facts about men and why it’s important that they should take care of themselves. (Stats provided by the CDC.gov/mens-health 2014.)
- Percent of men 18 years or over who met the 2008 federal physical activity guidelines for aerobic activity through leisure-time aerobic activity – 52.4%
- Percentage of men 20 years or over who have hypertension – 32.6%
- Percent of men 18 years or over in fair or poor health – 12.4%
- Percent of men 18 years or over who had five or more drinks in 1 day at least once in the past year – 29.9%
- Percentage of men 18 years or over who currently smoke cigarettes – 16.7%
- Leading causes of death among men – heart disease, cancer, accidents
In addition to these startling stats, many men do not routinely obtain a yearly physical or take part in any annual cancer screenings. Sadly, these lack of preventative check-ups can lead to premature death.
What Can a Guy Do?
So, what does this mean to you? Well, if you’re a female who has one of these ‘I-don’t-need-to-see-a-doctor’ kind of guy in your life, or if you’re a male who can relate to some of the statements above, then keep reading to learn how you or your favorite guy can improve his health.
To celebrate National Men’s Health Month, here are 8 Ways Men Can Improve Their Health:
- Obtain and maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly ( at least 4-5 days per week; ideally – daily)
- Eat a variety of fruit and vegetables daily
- Don’t smoke
- Don’t drink alcohol in excess (limit to no more than 2 drinks/day)
- Get enough sleep
- Get a yearly physical
- Limit stress or learn how to manage it in a healthy manner
For guys who may be reading this, I know, you just want the basics. And you also want to know that if you do all of the 8 things above, how is it going to help you. So, here’s an infographic provided by EatRight.org to help you (and your body parts) get the most out of living a healthier lifestyle.Mens Health Infographic
Celebrate Dad and All the Men We Love
Father’s Day is definitely a special day to share with the man who protected us, took care of us and provided a loving home growing up. But as we get older, we ultimately realize that those amazing guys need to take care of themselves and their health. We can help by providing information and resources that can assist them in making healthier choices about food, activities and preventative care.
And if you happen to be the lucky guy reading this post today, remember it’s never too late to begin a wellness journey. Think it’s too late to become an athlete? Well, that depends. But it’s definitely not too late to learn how to take of one of the most important people in your life – YOU.
I wish each of you a wonderful Father’s Day with whomever you are celebrating with this year. Whether the celebration is for your father, brother, grandfather, husband, uncle, a special person or perhaps you are the lucky guy, may that day be extra special for all of you.