In less than a week, it will be Christmas day and many times we forget to take care of ourselves during the holidays. If you’re like me, you’ve probably been running around like a crazy person. At least, you ‘feel’ like a wild, crazy person running from store to store, checking your ‘to-do’ list multiple times and hopping from one holiday party to the next.
Of course, there’s no dispute that it’s fun to decorate the house, ride around looking at Christmas lights and enjoy amazing friends with yummy food and festive drinks. But during this really busy, holiday time, you may find that you have very little time to yourself. This, unfortunately, can play havoc on your well-being by the unintentional increases in your stress and anxiety levels.
So, what can you do to lessen the holiday hustle and bustle on your overall wellness? Add your name to the ‘to-do’ list as a reminder prompt to do something for yourself and include some personal zen to your day. What you do is totally left up to you, but make sure it is something that allows you to relax, reconnect, and re-energize your mind and body.
Keep in mind that taking care of yourself during the holidays doesn’t have to take up a lot of time. As we all know, it usually feels like we have very little of this precious commodity during this time of year. So take advantage of small moments of time you can schedule just for you. Keep reading to see a few simple suggestions.
10 Ways to Take Care of Yourself During the Holidays
1. Go for a short or long walk or jog around your neighborhood
2. Take a long hot bubble bath – candles and wine are optional
3. Watch your favorite holiday movie or tv show
4. If you like to cook, make something that you really enjoy or reminds you of your childhood holidays
5. Say ‘no’ to at least one party and use that time to do what you want
6. Put in your earbuds and listen to an educational, spiritual or wellness podcast
7. Get up early, make some coffee and catch up on a good book
8. Block off 15 minutes of private time to meditate, pray or read your Bible
9. Since many studios offer holiday discounts, take that barre, yoga or pilates class you’ve been wanting to attend
10. Take a nap or just lie down for a little while so your body can rest
These are just a few ways you can reconnect and re-energize yourself during the holidays. However, you may have some other ways. If you do, I would love to hear about them, so send me a comment and share your holiday me-time.
If you need a few more wellness ideas or ‘hacks’ for the holidays, read this previous posts 8 Wellness Hacks for the Holidays.
Be well my friends and Merry Christmas to each of you.
[All pics by Pixabay]